Passionate about Beauty and Health? Want to be part of an innovative, trend setting retailer? Our AS Watson legal team is based in Superdrug’s vibrant Head Office, by East Croydon station is a fantastic environment filled with hundreds of brilliant personalities.
We’re a team that puts our customers and our teams at the heart of everything we do. At AS Watson, we aim to be the best in accessible health & beauty, loved by our customers for value, choice, friendly advice, service and fun.
Our success comes from our people – they make the difference. We’re all about personality, we have fun, and we work hard to deliver.
This is an exciting opportunity within this fast paced legal team for a lawyer to provide strategic legal support to A. S. Watson and its three business units in the UK - Superdrug, The Perfume Shop and Savers.
You will negotiate strategic contracts, advise on both traditional and digital marketing campaigns and strategy and advise on privacy issues. You will act as a trusted legal adviser to colleagues throughout the business units at various levels of seniority. You will also be a key player within the Legal Team and be responsible for contributing towards the supervision of the junior members of the team.
Based at Superdrug’s new head office in central Croydon and reporting directly to the Head of Legal, you will provide technically accurate and pragmatic legal advice to A. S. Watson and its three business units in the UK - Superdrug, The Perfume Shop and Savers.
Working in partnership with your colleagues across the business you will:
• handle a wide range of contracts including IT contracts, logistics and supply chain agreements, FM contracts, healthcare contracts and digital contracts. At times you may be required to negotiate contracts awarded as a part of a wider European tender with our sister companies in the EU and this will then involve liaising with relevant stakeholders not only in the UK but across Europe. You will manage the process from initial instruction through to signature. At the end of the process, you will be responsible for managing the formal contract approval process with both the UK management team and Group Legal in Hong Kong;
• work closely with our Procurement team to help ensure Group Procurement policy is adhered to and provide ad-hoc advice on tender and contractual process. You will become a valued partner to the Procurement team;
• advise on day-to-day privacy matters from strategy and approach of proposed contracts, through to contract negotiation and then implementation. You may be required to assist on any investigations and incidents which occur from time to time. You will work closely with our GDPR champions across the business. You will develop a good working relationship with our Group Privacy and Information Security Team;
• advise the wider marketing teams on internal and external advertising, as well as promotions approval. In the event of receiving any ASA complaints, you will work with the marketing and the commercial teams to draft and submit appropriate responses;
You will assist in the delivery of the strategic aims of the department. You will help develop and deliver training modules for the business on key legal issues, assist on induction programmes for new starters in the business, and work on the legal team’s knowledge database. You will assist in producing monthly legal reports to the leadership teams of Superdrug, The Perfume Shop and Savers, as well as status update reports to Group Legal in Hong Kong.
What you need to suceed
It is essential that you have passion and energy for both the retail sector and technology/ privacy/ commercial law. You must be a fun and friendly person, who is down to earth, approachable and able to work well in a team both within Legal and the wider business. You must be able to work in a fast paced environment. You must be confident in making difficult decisions and be willing to get off the fence in advising the business on an appropriate way forward. Your approach must therefore be pragmatic- you must be able to listen to the business and its objectives and weigh the commercial gains versus the legal risks in any given situation. Given the fast paced nature of both the business and the area of law in which you are a specialist, you must be committed to keeping up-to-date in the developments in retail, as well as technology/ privacy/ commercial law. Other criteria you must meet are set out below:
• English qualified lawyer of at least 6 PQE.
• Trained and qualified in a TMT team in private practice at a top law firm. Some in-house experience would be great but not necessary.
• Extensive commercial contracts experience.
• Solid privacy/ GDPR experience.
• Ideally IP, marketing and advertising law experience.
• A desire to supervise our junior lawyers.
What’s in it for you?
· 33 days holiday rising to 38 days with length of service (inclusive of bank holidays)
· 2 staff discount card for yourself and a family member or friend
· 30% discount on Superdrug Own Brand Product both in store and online
· Working in a stylish, modern and collaborative office close to East Croydon Station
· HQ on-site beauty treatments, canteen, table tennis and Health & Beauty giveaways
· Company pension matching and bonus
· Unrivalled Learning and Development programmes
Come and be part of something special.
Apply now to become part of more
By joining us, you will be part of More than just a health and beauty retail group. You’ll become part of an organisation which is well-recognised all over the world.Apply